Synthetic marijuana, also known as spice, is essentially man-made chemicals engineered to imitate the effects of marijuana on the brain. The dangers of synthetic marijuana are real; sometimes it is even made to imitate the look of actual marijuana. These synthetic products are sprayed onto plants and dried so that they may be smoked. These synthetic chemicals are also available in liquid form, allowing for vaporization devices as an alternative way of ingestion.
Why are there Dangers of Synthetic Marijuana?
- Not natural: The only thing natural about synthetic marijuana is the plant the chemical is sprayed onto. The chemicals in synthetic marijuana are completely man-made.
- Unregulated: Synthetic marijuana has been made illegal. Therefore, any being sold is not regulated by the federal government and could contain any ingredient, regardless of packaging labels.
- Easy Access: Manufacturers are using the internet to distribute their synthetic marijuana products. Anyone can order synthetic marijuana to be mailed to their address.
- Unpredictable: Because the products aren’t regulated and may have any amount of chemical level, the reactions from the drug can be a wide spectrum.
Although these products are illegal to date, they are still being sold illegally over the internet nationwide. These products are dangerous and can even cause death. The same receptors in the brain that react to THC, the active drug in marijuana, are the same that react to the synthetic products. Even though the same receptors react, spice is not the same thing as marijuana. In fact, synthetic marijuana can be many times stronger than the THC found in real marijuana.
Is Synthetic Marijuana Addictive?
Yes, synthetic marijuana can be addictive. When a spice smoker discontinues use, one can expect withdrawal symptoms of:
Most synthetic marijuana users are young and ignorant to what synthetic marijuana is. The packaging and promise of a high like real marijuana seems promising, but what ensues is a dangerous activity. Although some people may claim to enjoy synthetic marijuana, there are certainly many more horror stories about the negative effects of synthetic marijuana.
What are the Negative Effects of Synthetic Marijuana?
- Rise in heart rate
- Delusional thoughts
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
- Blurry vision
There is little evidence on what kind of dangers of synthetic marijuana on the human brain. Because these products are not regulated, a consumer can never know how much they should ingest. This also means that some products can be more deadly than others. You can purchase the same synthetic marijuana product twice and each package may contain different levels of chemicals than the other. Because none of these man-made products have been regulated or tested on human specimen, they can never be considered safe.