Like with any substance you put in your body, food has a strong effect on your mood and overall feeling of wellness. The better you eat – meaning whole and nutritious food – the better you will feel. If you are in recovery from addiction or an eating disorder, eating healthy is one of the best things you can do to support your sobriety. If you eat happy, you will feel better.
Best Eating Tips For A Healthy Life
In recovery, you want to make your sobriety your primary focus – all other things will follow as long as you can stay on the right path. Eating well is one of the best things you can do, along with exercising, keeping yourself busy with healthy hobbies, surrounding yourself with the right people, and having an overall high level of self-care. In addiction, most people usually end up vitamin deficient because nutrition was not high on their priority list. That is why it is especially important to work on building back that strength.
Eat Happy! Guidelines for a feel-good diet
- Eat Whole Foods. And no, we don’t mean the grocery store. Eating a diet filled with fresh vegetables, fruits, and whole grains naturally helps the body perform better and feel better. It may seem overwhelming to think about transitioning your whole diet over to whole foods, so the best way to start is by substituting one thing at a time. An example would be having a piece of fruit instead of candy, or nuts instead of chip.
- Try Not To Over Eat. As addicts we tend to go nuts in everything we do. In our eyes, more is better. Well, it’s time to shift this theory over to learning how to eat and indulge in moderation. Feeling over-stuffed will make you feel tired, lethergic, and dull, so try to keep the amount you are eating in check.
- Stay Away From Processed Foods. Processed foods have lots of chemicals in them, and this is what we are trying to get out of our bodies as we recover! The less processed foods you eat, the better.
- Listen to Your Body. In your new sober life, learn to become more in-tune with your body and the signs and signals it sends you all day long! Feel out which foods make you feel good, vs the ones that rob your energy, and eat accordingly.
- Give Cooking a Try! Cooking can be a lot of fun to do either as a solo activity or with your partner, friend, mother, brother, sister… you name it. Its an engaging activity that allows you to experiment and create dishes you like. And the end result is that you get to eat it!
Eat Happy and Healthy
This is a time to treat your body with the kindness and respect it deserves, after years of abuse as a result of addiction or an eating disorder. There is no one size fits all meal plan for optimal health, and these are designed just to be some ideas for you to try out. As always, make sure to consult with a doctor about any supplements or major diet changes you do. Eat healthy, be happy. Eat happy, and be healthy.