Most people will experience a traumatic event sometime in their lives. However, some of these people may not be able to move on from the traumatic event or events they experience. When this happens, a mental health issue known as PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) can develop. People who are living with PTSD may experience debilitating symptoms as the result of reliving their traumatic moments via flashbacks and nightmares. Therefore, negatively impacting their lives and keeping them from doing the things they enjoy and even navigating daily responsibilities. Fortunately, people who are living with the negative impacts of trauma can get help from trauma treatment services. Trauma treatment involves trauma therapy sessions that help to educate people about trauma and provide them with the coping skill they need to heal and live healthier lives of mental wellbeing.
What is Trauma Therapy?
The term “trauma therapy” doesn’t necessarily mean the use of one specific type of therapy. Trauma therapy describes a number of various therapies that can help people living with the impacts of trauma. Trauma treatment can utilize a number of different approaches to trauma therapy including:
- DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy)
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Therapy)
- Trauma education
- Mindfulness techniques
- and more
Some of the Things Trauma Treatment Can Help With
During trauma therapy sessions, people who are dealing with the negative impacts of trauma can learn how to:
- identify how trauma is impacting their lives
- recognize the various methods of recovery that are available to them
- understand the trauma triggers they deal with and identify how to overcome them
- implement trauma-recovery techniques into their own lives
- prevent re-traumatization after treatment concludes to obtain lasting healing
Some of the Many Benefits of Trauma Treatment
Working through trauma and the effects of trauma is difficult. But, trauma treatment provides individuals who are dealing with the impacts of trauma in their lives the opportunity to heal and move forward. Certainly, there are many benefits to utilizing a trauma treatment service in order to overcome the effects of trauma including:
- moving toward the future by facing the traumas that happened head-on
- learning to manage and reduce the severity of trauma symptoms
- reduce the likelihood of the impacts of generational trauma
- learning and utilizing helpful coping techniques that can help to prevent retraumatization
- relearning about one’s own self needs and wants for life
- be more mindful and present in one’s own life
The main benefit of trauma treatment is to empower people to take their lives back from the traumatic experience or experiences they’ve had in their lives. This way, they can move forward with healing and gain a purpose free from the restraints that trauma has put on their futures.
Getting Help for Trauma From Willow Place for Women
Are you struggling with the impacts of trauma in your own life? Trauma treatment, therapy, and education are available at Willow Place for Women, specifically for women who want to get help on an outpatient basis for trauma-related issues. Find out more about our trauma therapy and outpatient services from our website.